Importance/Uses of Biofertilizers
1. Biofertilizers increases the nitrogen content of soil.
2. Biofertilizers prepared with phosphate solubilizing microorganisms increases the phosphorus availability in soil.
3. Biofertilizer are environmentally friendly. They can be used for the protection of environment.
4. Some biofertilizer such as Azolla and BGA compact the toxic effect arising from fertilizer and pesticides.
5. It increase the yield of crop.
6. Biofertilizer improve the fertility status of soil, improve soil health and increases the yield of crop.
7. It improve physical, chemical and biological properties of soil responsible for enhanced fertility and productivity.
8. They help proliferation and survival of other beneficial microorganism.
9. They are naturally preparation having self generating nutrient supply capacity.
10. Some biofertilizer protects the crops from various soil-borne disease.
11. Some fertilizer particularly BGA can control the salinity of soil.
12. Biofertilizer acts as buffer against rapid change in soil pH.
13. In addition to N biofertilizer increase the amount of available P, Zn & Fe in soil.
14. Biofertilizer prepared with phosphate solubilizing microorganism increases the phosphorus availability in soil.
15. They are very cheap.