Symptoms and Management of Collar rot/Foot rot/Stem rot of Betelvine
Causal organism: Sclerotium rolfsii.
Symptoms of Stem rot of Betel vine
1. The vines of all stages are susceptible to the disease.
2. The infection usually starts at the collar region.
3. Whitish cottony mycelium is seen on the stem and roots.
4. Brown colored mustard-like sclerotia are seen on the infected stem and soil near the vines.
5. The stem portion shows rotting of tissues at the plant of attack and the plant shows dropping of the leaves and withering finally dry up.
Favorable condition of Stem rot of Betel vine
▲ High temperature of 28-30 C.
▲ Organic fertilizer rich soil and plant debris are favor for the disease.
Control Measures of Stem rot of Betel vine
♦ Remove the affected vines with the roots and burned.
♦ Apply more of soil amendments like neem cake, mustard cake.
♦ Apply Trichoderma compost fertilizer @ 5g/plant.
♦ Treated vine with Provex/Bavistin @ 2g/L of water before planting.
♦ Drench the soil with 0.1% carbendazim.
♦ After founding the disease, spraying Provex/Bavistin @ 2g/L of water on foot of plant near the soil.