Literally nursery means garden of seedlings and it is also called seedbed. So nursery is a place where seed, Seedling, sapling, cutting and oilier planting materials are produced and maintained with special care for planting other location or for sale.
In other word, mu-Say is a temporary place where seedlings, saplings, cutting, layers and grafts arc produced scientifically through sexual and asexual method of propagation and nursed or they are ready to sell or planted in the permanent place.
When modern facilities arc applied on nursery activities for improving seeds, Seedling. Grafts, layers, cutting and greenhouse, lath house, mist propagation unit, tissue culture laboratory etc. are present in a nursery then that the nursery is called modem nursery.
Advantage/ Importance of nursery
1. To produce required number of Seedling, sapling.
2. Financially a person can be benefited.
3. Unemployment problem can be solved to sonic extent.
4. The Seedling or sapling can be obtained timely from nursery.
5. The Seedling or sapling which are not stored easily, this can be raised successfully in the nursery. e.g. Gorjon, Rubber, Telsur etc.
6. It helps the government and public in tree plantation by supplying seedlings timely.
7. It helps to inspire and motivate the public in tree plantation programme.
8. Unutilized land can be brought under production.
9. Nursery owner and government may be benefited by importing and exporting planting materials.
10. It acts as a store house of plant germplasm. (Seed bank)
11. It may act as a training centre.
12. It contributes in the reduction of environment pollution (smokes, gas and dust).
13. It helps in increasing total forest land.
14. It contributes a lot in supplying food, medicine, Timber, fuel and nutrition.
15. It helps to maintain ecological balance for living being.
16. Maintenance is very easy and many propagation materials can be obtained with low price and less labors.
1. Initial cost is so high that poor people are not able to make it easily.
2. It needs efficient and Technical person in the permanent nursery.
3. Transportation cost is high.
4. Sometimes high land and source of water are not available for making an ideal nursery.
5. Nursery can be affected by beasts especially in the forest nursery.
6. Seedling of nursery are very sensitive to diseases.