Site selection for a commercial nursery
Nursery is must to be established in such a place which considered ideal for high economic benefit. or this the following aspects may be considered-
- Location: The location of a nursery is very important factor. The place must be easily visible, open, sunny and free from flood and water logging condition. It should be near the city or own or high way.
- Communication:The place must be well communicated. It may be by the side of a road, port or human habitation.
- Soil: Soil of a nursery must be very fertile and loamy.
- Land value:Value of suitable land for nursery must be researchable with the scope of availability of adjacent land for the extension of the nursery if required in future.
- Irrigation source:It is good for nursery, if there is a source of water for irrigation. The source maybe river, Canal, Lake, pond etc.
- Labourers availability:Easy availability of required number of labours whenever required with reasonable salary is one of the consideration.
- Materials availability: Easy availability of fertilizers, improved seeds, insecticides, pesticides, hormones, tools, equipment etc.
- Other facilities:Modern facilities like telephone, gas, electricity etc. and socio economic condition of people may be considered. Transporting and marketing facilities should also be considered.
Sections of a commercial nursery
For smooth functioning there are some sections in a big, permanent and commercial nursery which arc as follows-
1. Seed bed: for raising of Seedling from seeds.
2. Nursery bed:for planting rooted, cutting, layers and rootstock for grafting and budding.
3. Cutting bed:to place cutting for rooting.
4. Mother stock area:to supply a scion and stock and cutting materials, layers made from these plant also.
5. Threshing floor:for threshing, winnowing and draying of seeds.
6. Pot yard: for keeping potted plants.
7. Research plot:for conducting research work.
8. Irrigation source:tube well, water Reservoir and pond.
9. Area for the plant to display: Rare, attractive, high yielding, exotic plants.
10. Area for shade tree: to provide shade to plants properly.
11. Working shade:to keep soil and to work during hot and rainy days.
12. Office and store room: office for official use and store room for storing seeds, tools and equipment, fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides etc.
13. Roads and paths:to visit different section of the nursery.
14. Vehicles parking area: to keep Car, trolley and other vehicles.
15. Irrigation and Drainage channel: for irrigation and Drainage of water.
16. Compost plant:for the preparation of compost.
17. Poly tunnel, net house, Lath house, green house, mist propagation unit area.
18. Packing Yard:for packing seedlings.
19. Compost shade:to keep compost in ideal condition.
20. Staff quarter:for residing.
21. Cultivation area:for the production of seed.