Brown Plant Hopper management
Scientific name: Nilaparvata lugens.
Pest Characters of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. Brown in colour.
2. Both nymph and adult are harmful.
3. Mouth parts→ Piercing sucking type.
Nature of Damage of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. The female insect lays egg in masses on the leaf sheath of the base of the plant.
2. After 4-11 days the eggs are hatched. Both nymph and adults are confined at the base of the plant and suck cell sap from the stem and leaf. Due to sucking cell sap, the following symptoms may appear.
Direct damage of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. Leaf yellowing and leaf spotting occur.
2. Losses its vitality and vigour.
3. Growth stunted.
4. Reduced number of tiller.
5. Finally, Burning symptoms occurs which is known as hopper burn.
Indirect damage of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. Act as a vector of grassy stunt virus of rice.
2. Photosynthesis reduces due to formation of sooty mould fungus as honey dew secretes on the leaf surface.
Control Measure/Management of Brown Plant Hopper management
A) Nonchemical of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. Use of excess nitrogenous fertilizer should be avoided.
2. Removing excess water from the field.
3. Optimum plant densities should be maintained.
4. Crop rotation should be followed.
5. Cultivation of insect resistant varieties such as BRRI Dhan 31, BRRI 1, 2, 3, 10 etc.
6. Destruction of ratoon crop.
7. Use of predator Mirid bug, Ladybird beetle, Coccinelid beetle, Micraspis discolor.
8. Use of Parasitoids Trichoparammatic parasitoid Paracentrotra andoi, Anagras sp.
B) Chemical of Brown Plant Hopper management
1. Using of Basudin 10G/ Furadan 3G/ Diginol 14G @ 16 kg/ha.
2. Application of Malathion / Maladan 57 EC @ 404 ml/ acre of land.
3. Spraying Symbush/ Ripcord/ Fenon 10 EC @ 600 ml/ha.
4. Application of Metasistox 25 EC @ 1.5 L/ ha.
5. Application of Tapgor/ Racion @ 12 L/ ha.