Groundnut Stem borer (Scientific name, Pest characters, Nature of Damage and Control Measure)
Scientific name: Sphenoptera perotetti.
Pest characters of Groundnut Stem borer
1) Adults 10-12 mm in length.
2) They are generally dark brown in colour with a strike metallic shine.
Nature of Damage of Groundnut Stem borer
1. The beetles prefer to lay it’s eggs on branches.
2. The young creamy white grubs bore into the branches, then the larval tunnel increases in length as the larvae grows in size and ultimately reach the top root.
3. The grubs bore into the stem and root and cause damage by feeding inside root and stem resulting in plants death.
Control Measure of Groundnut Stem borer
A) Nonchemical control of Groundnut Stem borer
1. Cutting and destroying the infested branches along with grubs is a direct advice for their control.
2. Using of Systemic insecticides.
B) Chemical of Groundnut Stem borer
1. Apply Malathion 5D (or) endosulfan 4D (or) carbaryl 10D at 25 kg/ha to the hole or furrow prior to the sowing.
2. Repeat the same on 40 DAS during earthing up and gypsum application.