How to grow cosmos? Morphology and production technology of cosmos are given below.
- English name: Cosmos
- Scientific name: Cosmos bipinnatus
- Family: Compositae
- Origin: Mexico
- Habit: Cosmos is a delightful Annual mainly grows in the rainy season
- Leaf: Compound and thin
- Size of bract: 8 – 10 cm
- Height: 60 – 120 cm
Color and variety:
According to the size, flowers are 2 types –
- Large size – ZAGGLER (red), Purity (white), ALPINE BEAUTY (pink), GLORIOUS (pure rose color)
- Small size – Raffle fair (orange), Mandarin
According to season, cosmos are 2 types –
- Winter seasonal flower
- Summer seasonal flower
Generally, winter seasonal flowers are various in color and summer seasonal flowers are yellow in color.
How to grow cosmos plants?
Climate: Grow in tropical and subtropical areas but grows best in the temperate region
Soil: It can grow in any soil but grows well in a loamy soil. The organic matter that reaches soil is the best for cultivation. It needs soil pH 5.5 – 7.5
Means of preparation: By seed
Bed size: 3 – 10 m
Planting method: Direct
Planting time: October – November (In winter), February – March ( In summer)
Seed rate: 5 – 8 gm per bed.
- Cow dung: 2 – 3 kg
- TSP: 25 gm
- Urea: 50 gm
- MP: 25 gm
Cowdung/manure and TSP should be applied at the time of land preparation. MP and Urea should be applied after one month of planting.
- Weeding (15 days after)
Pest and disease:
- Pest: Aphid, Caterpillar
- Disease: Powdery mildew
- Management / Control: Dithanem – 45
- Pesticide: Basudin and Diana for Caterpillar, Malathion and maladan for Aphid.
Uses: Used as cut and bedding flower.