Importance of Fruit production in Bangladesh
The importance of growing fruits has been discussed under in brief:
1. Contribution of fruits in human nutrition: Fruits supply vitamins and minerals. It make balance diet leading to the development of sound health and happiness of human beings
• Vitamin A Mango, Papaya, Jackfruit, bel, pineapple.
• Vitamin B Banana, Cashew nut, Litchi etc.
• Vitamin B2 Bel, litchi, papaya etc.
• Vitamin C Guava, lemon, orange, lime, pineapple etc.
• Protein Banana, Guava, grape, Jackfruit etc.
• Phosphorus Litchi, Banana, Pomegranate.
• Iron Guava, sapota, unripe mango, date palm etc.
• Carbohydrates Mango, banana, Jackfruit etc.
2. Fruit growing provides better foods as they are good source of vitamin and minerals and have medicinal properties.
3. Fruits give high energy returns per unit area compared to other crop.
4. Fruit growing is profitable.
5. Fruits are the basic need of many industries like canning, preservation, dehydration etc.
6. Fruit growing helps in the development of package, transport, refrigeration, oil and wine industries. Apiculture is depend on fruit crops.
7. Fruit production create job for rural poor.
8. Waste land can be utilized by growing hardy fruit crops like ber, bel, custard apple etc.
9. Air sound and dust pollution can easily be minimized by massive planting of fruit species because trees are known to be the best purifier.
10. Almost all fruits have medicinal value.
11. Fruits are cheap source of energy and good source of acids.
12. Earning and saving foreign currency.
13. Fuel and timber source.