Importance of seeds
The importance of seed is given below-
1. Seed supplies staple food : Seeds are food for man, animal and other living beings. Globally 95% of the total food comes from seed. About of 250 species of seeds are used as food for human and animal being. The six species of seeds which are used for human consumption are :
i. Rice ii. Berley iii. Wheat iv. Oat v. Maize vi. Rye
The principle kinds of food stored in the seeds either inside the cotyledon or in the endosperm are given below-
(a) Carbohydrate- i. Starch ii. Hemicellulose iii. Sugar
(b) Fats and oils (c) Protein (d) Mineral and (e) Vitamin.
2. Seed supplies raw materials to industry : A number of industrial products may be extracted from seeds i.e. mustard oil, coconut oil etc. come from mustard and coconut oil etc. comes from mustard and coconut seed or fruit.
3. Seeds are the basic commodity of agriculture : Seeds are the only commodity enabling the people to work with increasing productivity in the field. Without it, the production of work wouldn’t be possible.
4. Seeds are the vehicle of life or means of propagation : Seeds are the vehicle of propagation of new life from one place to another. Many species of plant are widely spread because their seed is easily dispersed.
5. Seeds protect and sustain life : Seeds carry present germplasm variously protected against heat, cold, draught and water. Seed contain reserved food for the development of embryo.
6. Seeds are used as medicinal purpose : In some cases, seeds and their products are a good source of medicine. The medicinal value has been widely recognized such as alkaloid and other compounds. Quinine is the most effective remedy from malaria which is extracted from the seed of cinchona.
7. Seeds are the source of oil supply : Seeds are the main source of vegetable oils supplying about 55% of the total oil.
8. Seeds acts as a national treasury : Seeds are the national asset and may be compared with currency of a country.It is a source of foreign currency by exporting like tea, jute etc.
Beside these Importance of seed are-
1. Seeds are used as food for human and feed for animal.
2. Seeds are the means of propagations.
3. Seeds are the basic commodity in agriculture.
4. Seeds are the source of life.
5. Seeds are the protection of life.
6. Seeds determine the society whether it moves positive or negative direction.
7. Seeds are used as raw material in the industry. They are used for preparing different chemicals such as lubricating oil from castor.
8. Seeds are used as source of oil. E.g- mustard seed, groundnut seed, soyabean seed etc.
9. Seeds are used as beverage. E.g- coffee.
10. Seeds are used as a main tool for the improvement of crops.
11. Seeds are used as medicine. E.g- pitraj, castor, kalozira etc.
12. Seeds are used to prepare different types of cosmetics. E.g- chain, vanity bag, rings etc.
13. Seeds increase the national treasury.
14. Seeds are also used as wealth.
15. Seeds influenced human health.