Rice yellow stem borer
Scientific name: Scirpophaga incertulas.
Pest characters of Rice yellow stem borer
1. Moths are medium sized and triangular.
2. Larvae are yellowish in colour.
3. Snout like structure present (extension of labial pale).
Nature of Damage of Rice yellow stem borer
1. The female insects lay eggs in small clusters on the ventral side of the tip of the leaf.
2. After 68 days the eggs are hatched. Newly hatched caterpillars climb down through a silken thread and then enter into the leaf sheath.
3. After a few days the caterpillars bore into the stem and feed on internal soft tissues until they reach to the node. Then they feed tissues around the node.
4. Two parts of the stem detached and finally the central leaf dried out which is called “Dead heart”. This damage occurs at the vegetative and tillering stage of the rice.
5. When the larvae attack at the booting stage of rice plant, the panicles become dry and looks white. This symptoms is called “White head” symptom.
Control Measures/management of of Rice yellow stem borer
1. Using light trap for controlling adults.
2. Collection and destruction of egg masses.
3. Collection and destruction of dead plants.
4. Using resistant varieties as BR 1, BR 2, BR 10, BR 11, BR 22 etc.
5. Augmentation of predators (lady bird beetle, tiger beetle, spider, year wig, microvelia etc) and parasitoids (Telenomus, tetrastichus etc).
1. Using Basudin 10G/ Furadan 3G/ Diginol 146 @ 16.5 kg/ ha.
2. Application of Dimecron/ Bennicron/ Pillarcron 100 SL @ 344 ml/ acre of land.