What is a nursery?
Literally, nursery means garden of seedlings, and it is also called seedbed. So the nursery is a place where seed, Seedling, sapling, cutting, and oilier planting materials are produced and maintained with special care for planting other locations or for sale.
In other words, a nursery is a temporary place where seedlings, saplings, cutting, layers, and grafts arc produced scientifically through the sexual and asexual propagation methods and nursed, or they are ready to sell or planted in the permanent place.
What is a modern plant nursery?
When modern facilities arc applied on nursery activities for improving seeds, seedlings, grafts, layers, cutting and greenhouse, lath house, mist propagation unit, tissue culture laboratory, etc., are present in a nursery. The nursery is called modem nursery.
Advantage/importance of modern plant nursery
- To produce the required number of seedlings, sapling.
- A person can be benefited financially.
- The unemployment problem can be solved to a sonic extent.
- The Seedling or sapling can be obtained in a timely from the nursery.
- The Seedling or saplings that are not stored easily can be raised successfully in the nursery. e.g. Gorjon, Rubber, Telsur etc.
- It helps the government and public in tree plantation by supplying seedlings timely.
- It helps to inspire and motivate the public in the tree plantation program.
- Unutilized land can be brought under production.
- Nursery owners and the government may be benefited by importing and exporting planting materials.
- It acts as a storehouse of plant germplasm. (Seed bank)
- It may act as a training center.
- It contributes to the reduction of environmental pollution (smoke, gas, and dust).
- It helps in increasing total forest land.
- It contributes a lot in supplying food, medicine, timber, fuel, and nutrition.
- It helps to maintain ecological balance for a living being.
- Maintenance is straightforward, and many propagation materials can be obtained at a low price and with fewer laborers.
Disadvantages of nursery
- The initial cost is so high that poor people are not able to make it easier.
- It needs an efficient and Technical person in the permanent nursery.
- Transportation cost is high.
- Sometimes, high land and source of water are not available for making an ideal nursery.
- Nursery can be affected by beasts, especially in the forest nursery.
- Seedlings of the nursery are susceptible to diseases.