Challenges/Risks/Problems of Agribusiness in Bangladesh
Challenges/Risks/Problems of Agribusiness in Bangladesh are given below.
- Lack of quality control mechanisms and standardization of products.
- Inadequate port facility.
- Inadequate air freight space for export of perishables.
- Irregular power supply.
- Inadequate market information
- Inadequate supply of good quality seeds/fingerlings/DOC/breed.
- Indiscriminate use of chemical fertilizer reducing soil fertility.
- High level of post-harvest loss (10-38%).
- Inadequate cold storage facility for vegetables.
- Lack of packaging facility to meet up the international standards.
- Lack of knowledge of industry about EurepGap, HACCP.
- The reluctance of financial institutions to finance agribusiness.
- Inadequate air space for fresh product export.
- The limited capacity of the Bangladesh Standard Testing Institute for standard-setting and monitoring.
- The major challenge for the agribusiness sector of Bangladesh especially for the export market would be compliance with the SPS requirements.
- Threat to small farmers due to irregular supply of raw materials.