Rice Bug Rice Bug management (Control Measures), Pest characters, and Nature of Damage
Scientific name: Leptocorisa acuta.
Pest characters of Rice Bug
1. Medium sized insect.
2. Scutellum present.
3. Scent gland present.
4. Both nymph and adult are harmful.
Nature of Damage of Rice Bug
1. Female insect lays egg on the upper surface on the leaves in rows.
2. After 58 days, the eggs are hatched and the nymphs are comes out.
3. Both nymphs and adult’s suck the milk or juice from the developing grain in the milky stage of the plant. The attacked grains becomes shriveled or malformed and grain remains unfilled. As a result, yield reduction occurs severely.
4. Fungal infection also occurs in the infested grain. Grain becomes black and bad odour come out which cause a reduction of market value of rice grain.
Control Measures/Management of Rice Bug
A) Nonchemical control of Rice Bug
1. Collection and destruction of nymphs and adults by hand net.
2. Using light trap.
3. Destruction of alternate host.
4. Using predators Tiger beetle.
5. Rope soaked with kerosene water can drag across the rice field.
B) Chemical control of Rice Bug
1. Application of Malathion/ Maladan 57 EC @ 1 L/ha.
2. Application of Dursban 20 EC @ 1 L/ha.
3. Application of Sevin 85 WP @ 1.7 kg/ha.
4. Application of Marshal 20 EC @ 1.2 L/ha.