The term dormancy refers to lack of growth in any plant part due to either internally or externally induced factors. Seed technologist use the term of refers to non-germination resulting from conditions within the seeds.
Dormancy is the state of inhibits growth of seeds or other plant organs as a result of internal causes not due to environmental condition. In other word, the unavailability of well developed mature, perfectly viable and healthy seed to germinate when placed under favorable conditions for germination is called dormancy or rest period of seed.
Important of seed dormancy:
1. It is a mechanism which helps to survive this species.
2. It prevents the germination of seed in the field during production.
3. Dormancy helps to store the seed in the store house.
4. It contributes the congivity of the species.
5. It helps in the transformation of seed from one place to another.
6. Due to dormancy, we can use the crop as a food material.
7. Creation of a seed bank.
8. Synchronize germination – Insures a population of plants at same stage of development for out-crossing.
9. Seed dispersal- e.g.seed coat scarified by passing through a bird’s animal tract.
Dormancy is defined as the state of suspended growth.