Apiculture is the practice of keeping bees as well as the manufacturing of honey and bees wax. Or, The raising and care of bees for commercial or agricultural purposes.
Species of honey bee
1. Indian bee: Apis cerana indica.
2. Rock bee: Apis dorsata.
3. European bee: Apis mellifera.
4. Little bee: Apis florea.
5. Dammer bee or stingless bee: Melipona irridipennis.
1) Queen. 2) Drone. 3) Worker. 4) Soldier.
1) Queen: Only one queen per colony, mother of colony, sexual female developed from fertilized eggs have sting used to kill rival queen. Large sized, 1520 mm length, can lay eggs 10003000 per day. Can preserve more than two crore sperm. Mate once in life, longevity 35 years. No works, only reproduce.
2) Drone: Few in number per colony, bisexual male, developed from unfertilized eggs, no sting, medium large sized, 1317 mm in length. Mate only once and then died, longevity 24 months, No work only feeding, Fly in air when bright light.
5,000-50,000 per colony, sterile female developed from fertilized eggs, have sting used to defense, small size, 1115 mm in length, longevity 36 months. All are worker.
Importance of Apiculture in Bangladesh Bangladesh is an agricultural country. We have lot of flowers in the field, roads and even in the jungle which are full of nectar. If we take a little bit effort, we collected honey from these flower through which we can bring our economic solvency and even we can develop our national wealth.
However, through rearing honey bee, we can get two things
A. Uses of honey I) Use as food: About 80 chemicals constituents identified from honey which have high food value. Specially, these are children and older people plays a great role to them.Those are hard laborour and player, honey is a great food. We can regain loss energy very quickly by using honey. Honey helps reduce constipation, bloating and gas. Substituting raw honey for white sugar can help in weight management.
II) Use as medicine1. Consumption of raw honey can reduce risk of developing diabetes and help aid medication used to treat diabetes.
2. It can help reduce cholesterol and therefore decrease risk for coronary artery disease. 3. Raw honey makes brain function optimally by strengthening the heart and improving blood circulation. 4. If sourced locally, raw honey can help reduce seasonal allergies. 5. Consumption of honey promotes an increase is beneficial antioxidant agents, stimulates antibodies and combats harmful microbial activity. 6. Honey can help improve urinary tract infections due to its antibacterial properties.
III) Use as Cosmetics1. It can be used as an affordable face cleanser to fight off acne, gentle on sensitive/all skin types. 2. A spoonful of raw honey mixed with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon can be used as a hydrating lotion. 3. Raw honey can cleanse and restore the health of hair and scalp. 4. Raw honey hair mask can help boost shine.
IV) Miscellaneous uses
1. Used in manufacturing different drinks. 2. Prepare bacterial media. 3. Poisonous bait.
B. Use of wax
Wax are used for various purpose. Some are given below
1. Candle industry; where wax is the main ingredients. 2. Pharmaceuticals; specially for making capsule. 3. One of the best benefits of using beeswax on the skin is the moisturizing and the softening.
4. Cosmetic industry; face cream, lipstick.
5. Furniture industry.
6. Used for Making electric insulator. C. Besides, honey bee plays a great role in pollination.
D. Unemployment problem:Many people can be solve their unemployment problem by involving themselves in apiculture.