Best definition and classification of ornamental plants with examples
Definition of ornamental plants
Ornamental plants are those plants which are cultivated for the purpose of increasing the beauty of garden, lawn, house etc. such as Dahlia, Zinnia, Sunflower, Rose etc.
Classification of ornamental plants with examples
The ornamental plants can be divided into two categories, which are –
A. Herbaceous ornamental plant
B. Woody ornamental plants
A) Herbaceous ornamental plants:
1. Annuals –
a. Winter season flowers: Dahlia, Poppy, Dianthus, Calendula, Marigold, Cosmos, Aster etc.
b. Summer season flowers: Balsam, Cocks comb etc.
c. Year round / All season flowers: Sunflower, Zinnia etc.
2. Biennial –Holy hock, Sweet willium
3. Perennials –
a. For flowers: Phlox, Gladiolus etc.
b. For foliages: Asparagus officinalis
4. Lilies –
There are three families which group as lilies. They are –
a. Amaryllidaceae: Tube rose, Daffodils
b. Scitaminae: Dolon chapa, Canna etc.
c. Liliaceae: Day lily, Lilium.
5. Aquatic ornamental plants – Lotus, Water lily, Red water lily etc
6. Cactus, Orchid, Ferns –
Cactus: Star cactus, Rose cactus, Prickly pear, Orchid cactus etc.
Orchids: Vanda, Dendrobium, Vanilla etc.
Ferns : Bird nest ferns, Sword fern etc.
B) Woody ornamental plants –
1. Flowering shrubs: Rose, Jui, Beli, Mollika, Jasmine, Kamini, Rongon, China rose etc.
2. Non – flowering ornamental shrubs: Croton, Musanda
3. Flowering tree –
a. Magnoliaceae: Magnolia, Iron wood tree etc.
b. Leguminoseae: Pea cock, Ashok
4. Foliage ornamental trees: Rubber, Ashok, Banyan trees, Eucalyptus etc.
5. The palms: Bottle palm, Fishtail palm, Toddy palm, Butterfly palm, Oil palm, Chinese palm etc.
6. Ornamental hedge plants: Duranta, Justicia, Iroxa etc.
7. The conifers: Pine, Thuja, Juniper etc.
8. The creepers and climbers: Madhobi lata, Jhumka lata, Bougainvillea etc.