Definition of Farm Records
The registers in which the farm resources, farm products, and day-to-day maintenance of farm production and financial activities of a farm are recorded systematically or chronologically are called farm records.
Or, A farm record is a written statement that contains data on specific subjects of farm management.
Types of Farm Records
- Muster roll
- Overseer’s diary
- Cultivation register
- Stock book
- Issue register
- Receipt register
- Labor requisition book
- Attendance register
- Ration book
- Peon book
- General register if any
Objectives of Farm Record
- To provide a written record of farm operation for future guidance.
- To furnish specific information about the amount of feed needed for cattle A and to evaluate the efficiency of different feeds.
- To furnish a reminder of bills of own farm.
- To record the yield of different crops.
- To know the number of laborers employed and its distribution over different sectors of the farm.
- To provide the required information for good farm planning.
Reasons/Purposes of Farm Record Maintenance
A farmer or farm manager cannot estimate and plan for crop production without accurate farm records. The purposes/ reasons of maintaining farm records are as follows:
- To manage the farm with profit.
- To record the yield of crops.
- To record the cost of various operations.
- To record all data of operations.
- To record the information on how much labor is employed and how they are distributed during the seasons.
- To help the farmer know the strengths and weaknesses of the farm business from which they can take steps in the future to improve the management.
- Farm records help to check the unproductive expenditure and identify profitable enterprises. Besides, the gap between the current income and potential income can be examined, as records are the sources to know the current income of the farm.
- It provides required precise data on costs and returns for the researcher and the government.
- To provide information on the income-generating capacity of the farm and thereby indicates the farmers’ creditworthiness; this enables the farmers to get the required credit from the financial institutions.
- Farm records help to get the payment information of labor wages.
- It provides information regarding transactions of not only money but also of materials with other farms and organizations.
- It helps to get information to find out ways and means for increasing profit.
- To get information basis of the farm plan.
- Farm records indicate the requirement of various inputs and input services in advance to organize the farm business smoothly.