Management of nursery
Nursery management may be defined as the sum of the activities, performed for the successful production, care and marketing of different planting materials (seeds, seedlings, cuttings etc.) in different section of the nursery. Conducting employees properly, maintenance care and protection of properties etc.
Important management practices arc briefly presented below-
1. Management of protective fence: Time to time repairing work of the fence may be needed.
2. Management of roads and paths: To keep the roads and paths free from dust and mud, earth filling and mowing of grasses may be needed.
3. Management of irrigation and Drainage channels: Channels prepared in the nursery should ways be kept clean for easy and quick flow of water by removing weeds and silts.
4. Management of water sources: Care of the tube well, pond etc. is to be taken to ensure water supply during need.
5. Management of temporary plants: Optimum quantities of nutrients and irrigation water are to be plied to the seedlings, saplings, cuttings, layers and grafts grown in the containers and in different section of the nursery whenever required. Proper measures against pests and diseases are to be taken. Weeding, mulching and training are the common practices. Extra soil with sufficient amount of organic matter maybe needed to add with the growing media of containers and beds.
6. Management permanent plants: For healthy growth and development, proper care and maintenance like pruning, manuring, irrigation, application of insecticides and fungicides against pests and diseases etc. are to be taken for the permanent plants. To provide shade and to supply stock, scion and other planting materials.
7. Management of planting material during marketing: At the beginning of pick period of marketing, the planting material are kept ready for immediate sale in attractive condition. Carefully Ming of Seedling, grafts, layers, cutting etc. is to be performed by the labours.
8. Management of structure: Measures are to be taken to keep the nursery structure like screenhouse, Lath house, net house, poly tunnel working shade, office store room etc. in good working condition.
9. Management of tools and equipments: To ensure high quality and the maximum quantity of work, the tools and equipments are to be kept always in good condition (Sharpe and rust free).
10. Management of staff: Cordial relation is to be maintained among the staff so that they can describe their duties and responsibilities properly, sincerely and efficiently with inspiration.