Post-harvest technology is the application of scientific and engineering principles to the handling, storage, packaging, distribution, and sale of agricultural produce after it has been harvested. Post-harvest technology is used to improve the quality and extend the shelf life of food. It also helps to reduce wastage and improve food safety.
Post-harvest technology definition and objectives are given below-
Post harvest technology definition
Post harvest technology is a set of handling practices and applications that protect the quality of fresh fruits and vegetables from harvest until the time of consumption.
Post-harvest technology is concerned with the study and application of methods to maintain the quality of harvested commodities to prevent losses.
Importance of post-harvest technology
- Post-harvest technology is the application of technology to the post-harvest handling and storage of agricultural produce.
- Post-harvest technology can improve the quality and shelf life of agricultural products.
- Post-harvest technology can help to reduce the wastage of agricultural produce.
- Post-harvest technology can help to improve the economics of agriculture.
- Post-harvest technology is an important tool in the fight against hunger and malnutrition.
Objectives of Post harvest technology
- To reduce loss in quantity or volume and the product’s qualitative or nutritional value.
- To maintain the excellent quality of the produce (color, taste, flavor, aroma).
- To increases the shelf life of the crops.
- To keep the fruits or vegetables or commodities free from insects and pests.
- To get vegetables and fruits fresh all year round.
In conclusion, post-harvest technology is immensely important in ensuring that crops are stored and transported properly. It can help to reduce wastage and improve the quality of the crops. There are a number of different technologies that can be used, and it is important to select the right one for each crop. By using post-harvest technology, we can improve the efficiency of the agricultural industry and help to ensure that everyone has access to food.
I’m Md Mosaddekur Rahman,
I’m a student, a blogger, and a pro at digital marketing, especially SEO. I have completed my B.Sc. in Agriculture degree from the Crop Science and Technology Department at the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. I’m currently enrolled in King Abdulaziz University’s Arid Land Agriculture Department in Saudi Arabia.
In my opinion, agriculture is the key to advancing the economy. You can understand the fundamentals of agriculture by reading this site, which will improve your academic performance. To serve the country and become a skilled farmer, read carefully. We have a lot of responsibility, so we need to keep learning new things.