Post harvest technology definition and objectives
Post harvest technology deﬁnition
The field of post harvest technology is concerned with the study and application of methods to maintain the quality of harvested commodities in order to prevent losses.
Post harvest technology is a set of handling practices and application that protect the quality of fresh fruits and vegetables from the time of harvest until the time of consumption.
Objectives of Post harvest technology
1. To reduce loss in quantity or volume and in the qualitative or nutritive value of the product.
2. To maintain the good quality of the produce (color, taste, flavor, aroma).
3. To increases the shelf life of the crops.
4. To keep the fruits or vegetables or commodity free from insect and pest.
5. To get vegetables and fruits fresh all the year round.
Important Agricultural Websites