Post harvest technology definition and objectives are given below-
Post harvest technology definition
Post harvest technology is a set of handling practices and applications that protect the quality of fresh fruits and vegetables from harvest until the time of consumption.
Post-harvest technology is concerned with the study and application of methods to maintain the quality of harvested commodities to prevent losses.
Objectives of Post harvest technology
- To reduce loss in quantity or volume and the product’s qualitative or nutritional value.
- To maintain the excellent quality of the produce (color, taste, flavor, aroma).
- To increases the shelf life of the crops.
- To keep the fruits or vegetables or commodities free from insects and pests.
- To get vegetables and fruits fresh all year round.