- 1 Sugarcane Stem borer Management (Control Measure), Pest characters, and Nature of Damage
Sugarcane Stem borer Management (Control Measure), Pest characters, and Nature of Damage
Scientific name: Chilo tumidicostali.
Pest characters of Sugarcane Stem borer
Adults are pale brown in color with white hind wing.
Nature of Damage of Sugarcane Stem borer
1. A female adult lays eggs in masses usually on the under surface of the leaves.
2. Sometimes they lay egg on leaf sheath. After hatching the egg, the larvae collectively bore into the stem and feed inside.
3. Depending on the age of the plant, two times of symptoms are developed when plant attacked at early stage (Just after cane formation) the affected plant may die and the symptom may called “dried top” symptom.
4. But when the plants are attacked at later stage plants usually do not die but suffer from severe damage.
5. The larvae feed inside making tunnel and secondarily fungal infection may be occurred. As a result, the attacked tissues decomposed and the sugarcane becomes unfit for human consumption.
Sugarcane Stem borer Management/Control Measure
A. Nonchemical control of Sugarcane Stem borer
1. Collection and destruction of egg masses and infected plants.
2. Planting of borer free setts.
3. Removing the dried tops.
4. Avoid ratoon crop.
5. Use light trap.
B. Chemical control of Sugarcane Stem borer
1. Sett treatment with coal and Agben 50 EC @ 1 ml/L of water.
2. Application with Diazinon/ Diginol 60 EC @ 3 ml/L of water.
3. Application of Sevin 85 SP @ 1.7 kg/ha. 4. Application of Lebacid 50 EC @ 1 L/ha.
Important Agricultural Websites