- 1 Sugarcane Termite control measure (Management), Pest characters, and Nature of Damage
Sugarcane Termite control measure (Management), Pest characters, and Nature of Damage
Scientific name: Odontotermes lokanandu.
Pest characters of Sugarcane Termite
1. They are social insect, live in a colony, wings develop secondarily.
2. The main species of termite are found, they are
i. Microtermes obesi
ii. Odontotermes obesus.
iii. Termes tabrobanses
3. They live underground but make small earthen mounds or earthen passages that are visible above the ground. Their colony Organization based on a cast system. In a colony, there are numerous workers, one queen and a king and a good number of complementary forms of true but young males and females.
Nature of Damage of Sugarcane Termite
1. They enter into the setts either into the cut ends or eye buds and destroy the whole setts.
2. If plants attacked at the early stage, they feed on roots and also inside the stem. As a result, the seedlings may die. If the seedlings do not die, it becomes very weak with discolored foliage and little growth of roots developed.
Sugarcane Termite Control Measure/Management
A. Nonchemical control of Sugarcane Termite
1. Destroying termites nests with the queen.
2. Flood irrigation.
3. Avoid crop ratooning.
B. Chemical control of Sugarcane Termite
1. Applying Admire 200 SL @ 1 L/ha.
2. Applying Actara 25 WG @ 300 g/ha.
3. Applying Furadan 5G @ 6.8 kg/acre of land.
4. Application of Tolstar 2 WP @ 10 kg/ha.
Important Agricultural Websites